Sick certificates

Sick notes
You do not need to see the doctor or have a sick note from your doctor for any illness lasting less than 7 days but rather can self certify. This should be accepted by your employer. Download the form below from HMRC website.

If you are in hospital as a patient then please ask the doctors there to give you a medical certificate. Listed below is a summary of what type of sick notes you need to get when you are ill. For more information on sick notes visit gives a good overview.

The first 7 days 
If you are off work for up to 1 week (5 working days) you do not need a sick note from your GP. You can either write a letter to your employer or, if you prefer, there is a form called a Statutory Sick Pay Form or Employees Statement of Sickness (form SC2). These forms should be accepted by your employer. If your employer insists of a sick note from your GP for less than 7 days absence then your GP maybe able to offer a private letter at a charge of £15.

After 1 week
Once you have been off sick for more than one week you can obtain a sick note from a doctor. The first appointment may be needed face-to-face with your doctor.

Renewal of a sick note
If you have a continuing problem and you have already received a sick note from the GP, simply request for a renewal with the receptionist who will inform your GP. Your GP may organise a telephone consultation with you and be able to issue a certificate without needing to see you. 

Back dating a sick note 
It is possible for a sick note to be back dated so you do not need to be seen urgently or on the day that your sick note expires. It can be issued at a later date and back dated at the doctor’s discretion. A doctor may also extend a sick note without you being seen again. A request for another sick note can be made by telephoning your doctor's personal assistant or asking one of the reception staff. However if you are requesting for a sick note for the first time and you need it back dated to a time you were not registered or have no evidence of health seeking behaviour i.e. A/E, walking clinic, hospital letter then it may not be possible to issue one. 

Private Certificates
Sick notes from the doctor are normally free of charge (unless you request a duplicate or replacement sick note). However, if you require a private sick note and have been absent from work for less than five days, there is a charge of £15.

Duplicate sick notes
If you are requesting for a duplicate sick note that has already been issues then there can be a fee for this service.

Sick notes covering period of stay in hospital and expected recovery time
It is the responsibility of the hospital staff to issue sick notes for a period of stay in hospital and the ‘expected’ recovery time afterwards. This certificate should be obtained before you are discharged from hospital.

Certificates & disability benefits forms
To apply for some permits and benefits, your doctor needs to fill in and sign certain forms. These include forms for those claiming incapacity and disability benefits. Two forms need to be completed, one by the patient and the other by the doctor, which are then required to be sent off separately. From November the 1st 2008, application forms for the European Blue badge Parking Permits and Freedom pass permits for the disabled will no longer be filled in by your doctor. Instead, the department of social services will arrange for each applicant to have a medical examination by an independent doctor. Please click on the highlighted text to check if you are eligible for these benefits, as our doctors may refuse to fill in the forms if you are not entitled to them.

Housing medical reports
The practice offers medical reports for their registered patients that offer a detailed summary of your health taking into account how your health has affected you and your quality of living. Patient's have used these medical reports in their application or appeal to Haringey's housing department. We are, however, unable to offer recommendations to the housing authority regarding premise or adaptations as these are often conducted independently by them. For more information please visit the Haringey Council housing application website.

Passport signing requests
We do not complete naturalisation forms for patients applying to become British Citizens since the government had changed the regulations as to who can. To find out who can fill these forms please visit the Home Office website for British Citizenship.